OK, so that's neat and all, but essentially, I'm just using it as a way to create a diversion from the fact (excuse) that I haven't been all that productive of late. I have actually had quite a bit of progress made since the time that I have last spoken here, but when compared to the time lapse, I'm going to call this an "unproductive" period.
Despite all of this, I finally have a product that I'm willing to pawn off as a completed prototype. I got everything put together the other night and closed the case up. So at least it isn't naked anymore.
It still needs more testing and working a few bugs out here and there, but for the most part, it is at least presentable.
It took quite a bit of time to get everything placed in the box like I wanted it to. The case definitely needs to be bigger to get everything I want crammed in there. Routing the power wires inside the box was quite tedious.
As far as software changes, I added a feature to store and restore the current phase of the fermentation program to/from EEPROM (non-volatile memory). This allows the thermostat to automatically restore itself to it's previous settings in the case of a power outage or brown-out.
I also re-wrote all of the code that calculates the temperature changes during a phase of the program where a temperature gradient is involved. So now it is a much more accurate calculation. If you want to, for instance, cool the freezer down 15 degrees over a period of 24 hours, it is able to do that correctly and consistently.
Now it's time to run some more tests on it. AND, the tests that I have planned will at least result in the production of some more home brew... so I've got that going for me... which is nice.